When the GPS function is on, click the 'View Larger Map' button to the upper to show your location.
Additional Shikoku train route and timetable information available from Google Map.
This temple is at the tip of Cape Muroto-misaki, a warm place in Shikou where subtropical plants grow. Kobo Daishi, first came here at age 19, and spent time chanting the Gumonji-ho sutra in a cave. At 33, he returned, carved the main deity and founded the temple. It is believed that while here when looking at the sea and sky, he changed his name to `Kukai`.
This temple was founded in 807 by Kobo Daishi who carved the statue of Enmei Jizo Bosatsu. This deity is called the `kajitori jizo` or Helmsan Jizo, and fishermen believe that it will protect those at sea.
It is believed that Kobo Daishi founded this temple in 807. However, when he arrived a tengu appeared and entered into a debate with Kobo Daishi. The tengu lost the battle and was told never to appear again and confined to Cape Ashizuri. There are pictures on the wall of the Daishi Hall describing this story.
Founded by Gyoki, this temple ( elev. 632m ) is considered to be a `sekisho` as well as a `nansho` ( difficult place ) because the path leading up to the temple continues for more than a 1 kilometer at a slope of 45 degrees. Out of a spot between rocks, the `water of Konomine` flows, which is said to have healing powers.
Gyoki founded this temple and carved the 1.46m-high statue of Dainichi Nyorai. Around 806, Kobo Daishi visited a spot 2km away, carved Yakushi Nyorai from a camphor tree using his fingernails and made the Inner Sanctum. This deity is called, `Fingernail Yakushi` and is believed to cure sickness above the neck.
Gyoki founded this temple in 739 and is believed to have carved the main deity, the Senju Kanzeon statue. Later, Kobo Daishi participated in the 'hoshiku' service ( stars are prayed to for longer life and to drive away evil spirits ). It is the provincial temple of Kochi prefecture. ( See Temples 15, 59 and 80 )
Through the separation of Buddhism and Shintoism, this temple fell into misuse and the main diety was moved to Anrakuji. In 1929, Zenrakuji was rebuilt and there were two No. 30 temples which lasted until January 1, 1944. Discussions were held and Zenrakuji became No. 30 and Anrakuji the inner sanctum of Temple 30.
According to legend, Emperor Shomu was told by Monju Bosatsu to find a place similar to Mt. Godai-san in China. He commanded Gyoki to search for such a place and founded this temple in 724. Originally, there was a 3-storey pagoda, but it was blown down by a typhoon in 1899. The present 5-storey one was built in 1980.
In the early 9th Century, Kobo Daishi visited here and while praying for the safety of those at sea, carved the main deity. This Juichimen Kannon Bosatsu statue was called `funadama kannon` ( spirit of the boat kannon ) and the temple became known as a place to pray for the safety of sailors and fisherman.