When the GPS function is on, click the 'View Larger Map' button to the upper to show your location.
Additional Shikoku train route and timetable information available from Google Map.
It is one of three Zen temples along the route. ( Others are Temple 11 and 15 ), It was first founded as a Shingon temple by Kukai during the Enryaku period ( 782-806 ). During the Tensho period ( 1573-1591 ), a priest, Geppo, took over as abbot and changed the temple to the Rinzai sect.
The name of this temple comes from the legend that Kukai planted here the five kinds of seeds ( rice, wheat, 2 types of millet and bean ) which he brought back from China. In front of the Daishi Hall, there is `child-rearing Kannon` ( kosodate kannon ) where people come to pray for safe childbirth. A ladle with the bottom punched out to mark a successful birth is hung near the Kannon statue.
It is said that Gyoki founded this temple in 723 when he carved a statue of Yakushi Nyorai. The name `Kiyotaki`, or pure waterfall, comes from the legend that Kukai, after praying for abundant harvest, struck his staff on the ground and out came pure water, which turned into a waterfall.
When Kukai was in China, he studied under the direction of Keika ( Hui-kyo: 668-749 ), the 7th patriarch of Shingon Buddhism, at Shoryuji. Before Kukai left to return to Japan, he threw a vajra ( five-pronged ritual object ) towards the east and later found it at this spot. He founded this temple, giving it the same name as the one in China in memory of his master.
Founded by Gyoki. Later, Kukai visited this site and added 5 temples in each of which he placed a different deity: Amida Nyorai, Kanzeon Bosatsu, Fudo Myoo, Yakushi Nyorai and Jizo Bosatsu. On the ceiling of the Main Hall are 575 pictures.
In 822, Kobo Daishi followed the wish of Emperor Saga, carved a statue of Senju Kannon and founded this temple. It is believed one can set off for the land of paradise ( fudaraku ) where Kannon lives from here because Kobo Daishi saw Kannon when looking out to the sea.
Founded by Gyoki in 724 who carved the Yakushi Nyorai statue. To the right of the Main Hall is the `eye-washing well` ( mearai-ido ) claimed to cure eye sickness. In 911, it is believed that a turtle with a red bell on its back came to this temple from the ocean.